A 2 year long study in France that was designed to evaluate the safety of long-term consumption of genetically engineered corn found that rats developed tumors and suffered kidney and liver damage.
Dr. Mercola discusses the findings of the study in this video. I have added notes underneath of the main points.
- Rats consumed Monsanto genetically engineered corn (or exposed to it’s top selling weed killer Roundup) for two years. They suffered massive tumors and organ damage.
- Growing GM crops is already banned in France.
- They are calling for European Union intervention to ban Monsanto’s GM corn.
- 50% males and 70% female rats died prematurely compared with 30% and 20% in the control group.
- Those rats fed GM corn or Roundup had increased risk of breast cancer, organ damage and premature death.
- Cancers did not develop until after 90 days. Studies required for regulatory approval are all shorter than this period so problems would not have been seen.
- FDA do not require independent studies proving the safety of a product before they are approved for release.
- Genetically engineered seeds are patented, therefore independent scientists cannot get the seeds to run tests without legal problems.
- GM foods have been shown to be toxic or allergenic.
- The French study was the first to cover the lifespan of the rat.
- There is an urgent need for labeling GM foods. We all have a right to know. European Union and many countries have legislation for labeling GM foods, but not so in parts of the US, like California.
Here are some other expert opinions:
Do you know what you are eating? You should!