Coconut oil is made up of mostly saturated fat, which is bad, right? Wrong! Saturated fats being bad for you is a myth and in this video, Dr. Mercola explains how this myth started and why coconut oil is a healthy alternative.
Is Coconut Oil REALLY Healthy?
Some important stuff to take away from the video:
- Avoid trans fat (hydrogenated oils).
- Saturated fats in themselves are not dangerous.
- 50% of the fat in coconut oil is lauric acid – a medium chain fatty acid that has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-protozoan properties. That means it can fight infection in your body. Your body uses lauric acid to make a potent compound (coconut is one of the few sources of getting this compound in our body) that can kill lipid coated viruses.
- Coconut oil has a lot of health benefits, supporting thyroid health and function and heart health.
- Coconut oil tastes good.
- Can be used for cooking instead of vegetable oils. It’s very resistant to high heat so doesn’t break down easily when heated.