Two doctors that I have a lot of time for are Dr. Mercola and Dr. Weil. They seem to have conflicting opinions on Chlorella.
In this video, Dr. Mercola talks about the detoxification benefits of Chlorella:
The main topic of the video is on detoxification, and he shares his views on this.
- Up to 100 times more toxins are stored in fat than in your blood. Losing fat can help excrete the toxins out of your body.
- Lose weight in a healthy way – by following a healthy lifestyle including exercise which includes sweating.
- Three components to detox program recommended to him by another physician, but this should be done with medical supervision.
(1) Exercise to improve circulation.
(2) Infrared Sauna – heat plus exercise helps the excretion of toxins.
(3) High doses of niacin (vitamin B3). Niacin is often used to treat high cholesterol.
- Instead of the above program a food based approach may help, including Chlorella.
- Chlorella is a green algae with a high protein concentration. Factors in the algae help bind a lot of toxins and enable you to excrete them.
- Chlorella also has a lot of chlorophyll (which makes it green).
- Some people are allergic to Chlorella, so check first.
- Look for broken cell wall Chlorella, otherwise you won’t get most of the nutrients out of it.
- Look also for organic Chlorella as non-organic Chlorella can include toxins as it has been grown in waters with heavy metals.
OK, now over to Dr. Weil. In an article published in May 2012 on his site, he says:
“You may have read that it boosts energy, absorbs pesticides from the foods in your diet, fights cancer, eliminates infections, lowers blood pressure and cholesterol levels, cleanses the blood and the digestive system, regulates blood sugar and benefits health in many other ways. This sounds impressive, but there is very little scientific evidence to back up these extravagant claims.”
He goes on to say:
“we have no strong evidence to show that it will do you any good.”
.. and mentions some possible side effects of:
“diarrhea, nausea, flatulence, green discoloration of the stools and stomach cramping”
As you can see, the evidence from these two doctors is conflicting.
If you look on Amazon, there are a lot of Chlorella supplements available, but if you do want to buy some, remember Dr. Mercola’s advice. Click here to find organic broken cell wall Chlorella.