In this video, Dr. Becker discusses the health benefits of curcumin (the stuff that makes mustard yellow).
Health Benefits of Curcumin
Some highlights of the video
- Curcumin is the active ingredient that comes from the ground rhizome of Turmeric.
- Colorant and flavor enhancer often found in curry, but turmeric does not have a curry flavor.
- In India where Turmeric is eaten frequently, colon cancer rates are significantly lower than the West.
- Alzheimer's disease in India is one-quarter of the rate in the US.
- Curcumin has been studied extensively. It has the following properties:
Antioxidant (helps mop up free radicals that can damage our tissues and increase aging)
anti-amyloid (type of connective tissue laid down in autoimmune disease)
anti.ischemic (helps heart disease)
anti-inflammatory (helps with pain)
- Pharmaceutical companies might like to cover up the health benefits of curcumin so they can create a product that they can sell. They obviously don’t make money from the sale of turmeric.
- Curcumin is a powerful health promoting agent in the human body.
- 5016 (at the time of writing this) research articles online at PubMed.
- High doses of curcumin can kill cancer cells.
- Curcumin plus an extract of black pepper can halt the growth of stem cells in breast cancer. These stem cells are responsible for the metastasis of cancer cells.
Find out more about curcumin supplements.