In this video, Joseph Mercola reviews strategies for optimizing joint health.
Optimizing Joint Health
- Exercise is very important to joint health. The problem is that as our joints deteriorate, exercise becomes more difficult and/or painful.
- There is a myth that exercise can contribute to joint problems, but for those with healthy joints, exercise won’t hurt you.
- Lose weight so there is less mass on your joints. At higher weights, inflammation response of your body increases and this causes problems in your joints.
- Reduce sugar in your diet (and limit grains). Sugar increases joint problems.
- Vitamin D is very important. In winter this can be a problem as the sun isn’t around so much.
- Omega 3 fats are very important as well, especially animal based omega 3. Krill oil is a great source.
- Acupuncture, yoga, etc might help.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EMT) can help reduce stresses.
- Avoid long-term use of drugs commonly prescribed for inflammation. These can put stresses on your organs and even kill you.
- Also avoid surgery except as a last resort.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulfates have been used for years for joint problems. These are extracted from shellfish so if you have a shellfish allergy they might not be good for you.
- Egg shell membrane (biovaflex) is good for supporting stability and flexibility of your joints.
- Astaxanthin, a powerful antioxidant is also great for reducing inflammation.
- Hyaluronic acid is a major component of the fluid in joints, so this is a good supplement for joint care.
- Dr. Mercola recommends his own supplement called “Joint Formula” that you can get on his website or at Amazon.