It’s flu vaccine time of year again and doctors are advising the elderly or sick to get them. However, there are concerns over some of the vaccines available, and some countries in Europe have banned the flu vaccines from certain manufacturers. This video gives more information.
My notes on the video:
- Italy, Switzerland and Austria have banned the flu vaccine from pharmaceutical giant Novartis.
- Novartis reported that there were small particles in the vaccine.
- They have said they are confident the vaccine is safe.
- Germany are telling their “at risk” population to get vaccinated as there are 14 other vaccines that can be used.
- Anne-Clair Siegrist, the President of the Swiss Vaccination Commission says that the particles can cause increased inflammation following the injection. They tell those that have been vaccinated already should not worry.
- Swiss demand for flu vaccines is so high that manufacturers are struggling to keep up.