Buying a centrifugal juicer is an investment in your health, so you need to make sure you find the best one possible for your budget. Our favorite centrifugal juicer is the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite which retails at around the $300 mark. We have written a comprehensive review of the Breville Juice Fountain Elite.
If you are looking for a juicer that costs a little less, check out our other two recommendations. These will be the best “budget” centrifugal juicers and while we haven’t written detailed reviews of these machines, we will highlight some of the great features of these juicers to help you with your decision.
NOTE: You can jump to any part of this review page using our table of contents
By the way, if you are uncertain which type of juicer to buy (or even why you should be juicing at home), you can read our free Benefits of Juicing & Choosing the Best Juicer to Buy guide.
Table of Contents
What should you look for in a centrifugal juicer?
#1 Choice – The Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite 1000-Watt Juice Extractor
- What Makes the Breville 800JEXL So Fast and Efficient?
- Assembling your Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite
- What’s it like to use the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite?
- Cleaning the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite
- The Breville Juice Fountain Elite’s Features
- What Are Other People Saying?
- Summary of the Breville Juice Fountain Elite
- Where can you buy the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite?
#2 Choice – Aicok Wide Mouth Juicer
#3 Choice – Nutri Juicer Plus by Heston Blumenthal (UK ONLY)
Before we take a look at the impressive Breville 800JEXL, let’s ask an important question…
What should you look for in a centrifugal juicer?
You may have your own list of wants and needs, but when I was looking, the kinds of things I wanted were:
- Visually appealing design as it was going to sit on my kitchen counter.
- Efficient juice production leaving dry pulp. This should probably include speed settings to more adequately cater for different types of fruit and vegetables (soft and hard).
- Quick juicing. I hate chopping up fruit and vegetables into tiny pieces just so I can feed them down the chute one by one. I wanted a larger chute to keep the preparation time to a minimum.
- Rapid cleaning away. I have a dishwasher and don't see the point of manually cleaning a juicer if I can use my dishwasher, therefore dishwasher safe was a must.
- Durability – I wanted a juicer to last.
#1 Choice – Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite 1000-Watt Juice Extractor
Firstly I should point out that this model is difficult to find in the UK. Therefore a good alternative is my 3rd choice centrifugal juicer by Heston Blumenthal. If you click any of the links to the Beville juicer on this page you will probably be redirected to the Heston juicer.
I don’t know about you, but I have always found that making my morning carrot, beet and orange juice can take quite a long time. First step is washing the fruit and veg and then cutting them up into small enough pieces to go down the juicer chute. That's not to mention beetroot juice! Chopping up the beetroot always resulted in stained hands.
I cannot tell you how excited I was when I saw a demonstration of the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite. This juicer has received a lot of attention by people looking to enjoy a delicious and nutritious serving of juice as quickly as possible and this beast certainly has the tools to help! The feed chute is 3 inches (7.6 cm) in diameter which means you can put down whole fruit and vegetables without chopping it up.
To prepare my morning juice with the Breville Juice Fountain Elite, I just need to wash the beets & carrots and skin the oranges. I can then push them down the chute WHOLE!
The Juice Fountain makes the juice almost as fast as I can put the fruit and vegetables down the cute. It's like fruit to juice in 10 seconds or less. Amazing!
So is it the perfect juicer for your home?
Well, there are a few issues you should know about before buying one, but it’s pretty close.
What Makes the Breville 800JEXL So Fast and Efficient?
The Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain is a centrifugal juicer.
A centrifugal juicer is one known for its high speed and ability to produce juice in record time. The force created by this type of blender’s design and high speed, separates the juice and pulp. In fact the Breville Juice Fountain Elite has a patented system to ensure maximum juice from your produce. Here is a short video from the makers of Breville to outline why this technology is so exciting.
The Breville 800JEXL's sleek and attractive exterior is a thing of beauty with the juicer’s motor, body and housing being surrounded in stainless steel. Not only does this juicer look good, but it contains a 1000 watt Italian-made motor and boasts of 6,500 (low speed) and 13,000 revolutions per minute (RPM) on high speed.
Its knife blades provide dual cutting action, and are encased in a cutting disc that is plated with titanium and also stainless steel. This juicer has over 100 separate knives to help grind everything into the smallest granules.
Breville have managed to increase yields compared to other centrifugal juicers by up to 30% using their patented central loading of fruit and vegetables down the axis of the filter basket.
Assembling your Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite
Assembling the Breville Juice Fountain Elite is an easy 7 step process that takes no more than a minute or so to complete.
Step 1. Place the filter bowl surround on top of the motor base.
Step 2. The stainless steel filter basket is locked into place in this filter bowl by aligning the arrows and pushing down.
Step 3. Place the juicer cover over the filter bowl.
Step 4. Raise the safety locking arm up into the vertical position locking it into the two grooves on either side of the juicer.
Step 5. Insert the food pusher down the feed chute by aligning the grooves of the pusher with the feed chute.
Step 6. Place the pulp container into position.
Step 7. Place the juice jug under the spout and put the lid on to prevent splattering while you are juicing.
What's it like to use the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite?
This is my favorite part – making juice.
I'll start off by washing my fruit and vegetables (skins of most fruit and vegetables should be left on the produce as most vitamins are very close to the skin, but do clean them very well prior to juicing). I then core any apples with a corer, and chop any larger items into smaller pieces. This is usually a quick job that often doesn't require any chopping.
To begin making my juice I'll push the speed switch up (this selects the slower speed) and juice my softer fruits and vegetables. This includes things like apricots, berries, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, grapes, kiwi, mangoes, melon, oranges, tomatoes and watermelon.
Once they are done, I'll push the switch down to increase the speed and then put my harder produce down the fed chute. It is recommended you use this high speed setting for apples, beets, sprouts, carrots, celery, fennel and pineapple. The user manual gives you a guide for common fruit and vegetables.
Tip: I recommend that you keep the food pusher over the mouth of the chute as you feed in your harder produce. This will prevent any harder veggies from popping back up and out of the tube. Also, don't push down to hard on the food as it is going through the juicer.
As the fruit and vegetables go down the chute, lots of lovely healthy juice is coming out of the spout and into my juice jug.
It's then a case of emptying the pulp container and pouring the fresh juice into a glass. The froth separator means I get a froth-free juice in my glass.
I usually make more than I need and place the juice jug (with lid) in the fridge for later. I can then take the juicer apart and put most parts into the dishwasher to clean.
Making a large glass of juice really only takes a couple of minutes including preparation of the fruit and vegetables.
Cleaning the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite
This is very easy once you get used to it. Just follow these 5 simple steps:
Step 1. Turn the juicer OFF and unplug it.
Step 2. Remove the pulp container
Step 3. Unlock the locking arm and move it to the down position.
Step 4. Remove the juicer cover.
Step 5. Remove the stainless steel filter basket by holding the base of the juicer and twisting the filter bowl surround by the juice spout. You can then lift off the filter bowl surround with the filter basket still in place. You can then carefully remove the filter basket by turning the filter bowl surround upside down.
Tip: Don't touch the teeth or blade in the stainless steel filter basket as they are very sharp. Clean these teeth and blades with the nylon washing brush.
The Breville Juice Fountain Elite’s Features
Important features worth noting about this juicer are as follows:
- Dual speed electronic control. Low speeds of 6,500 RPM are ideal for juicing softer fruits with high water content e.g. watermelon) and a high speed of 13,000 RPMs so that you can juice harder fruit and vegetables. These speeds allow you to get the maximum juice from your produce.
- Overload protection button which is there to stop your juicer from over-heating.
- 3 inch circular feed tube allows whole fruits and vegetables to be fed into the juicer. Now you don't need to cut up your apples, carrots, tomatoes. Simply feed them into the large feed chute. Even put down whole peeled oranges!
- Centered dual knife blade assembly and stabilizing knife which are patented aspects of this juicer and help it create it's impressive juice yield.
- It is beautifully housed in die-cast stainless steel.
- Ultra sharp titanium reinforced cutting disc surrounded by Italian-made micro mesh filter. This can extract up to 30% more juice and 40% more vitamins and minerals than other juicers according the the manufacturers and the steel micro filter basket is dishwasher safe.
NOTE: Titanium is known for its wonderful properties of resisting corrosion and being extremely strong.
- Includes a juice pitcher, pulp container, and recipe book.
- The parts are dishwasher safe so cleanup is really convenient.
- The guys at Breville claim that this juicer can create an 8oz cup in 5 seconds. I haven't tested that myself, but it is quick.
- 1 liter juice jug with a handle and built-in froth separator (to make sure your juice is froth-free if that is the way you like it). This is dishwasher safe – put it on the top rack. A nice feature is that the lid of this jug can be in place while you are juicing so that you can eliminate any splattering of juices while in use.
- Extra large 3 liter pulp container with integrated handle. This is dishwasher safe – put it on the top rack of your dishwasher.
- Safety locking arm helps to prevent accidents by not allowing the juicer to run without the juicer cover in place and the locking arm in the vertical operating position.
- The plug on this juicer uses a trademarked Assist plug which has a whole in the middle to help insert and remove the plug.
- When finished, the electrical cable wraps around the feet of the juicer and clips into position, hidden under the base of the juicer.
What Are Other People Saying?
User feedback is always important when choosing a juicer.
The Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite has received glowing user reviews on many consumer sites and even referred to as the “Rolls Royce of juicers” by one happy customer on Amazon. At Amazon.com, 596 users rated this an average of nearly 4.6 out of 5 at the time of writing this review.
Some of the great features of this products that user's liked include:
- The Breville’s assembly is easy
- The juicer seems to never become unbalanced
- The juicer’s parts will fit most dishwasher’s top shelf
- Eight (8) ounces of juice can be yielded in about 10 seconds or less
- The 3-inch feeder chute nicely accommodates small fruit such as apples or pears, without cutting them. Also, larger carrots can be used which is a nice way to avoid time-consuming scrubbing and cutting
- You can throw away your earplugs. Users with sensitive ears have said they don’t find it noisy
- It is pleasing to the eyes. It looks nice
- No chunks of fruits or veggies that bypass the juicing process
- The juicer stays put and doesn’t move about when juicing
Things that some users mentioned as negatives of the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain include:
- You have to be very careful of the blades and sharp edges when washing it. Some areas around the strainer have been reported to be a bit sharp. While this may be true, I can't really see this as a negative myself. It's sharp yes, but then it is a cutting tool.
- Harder foods (fruits and veggies) tend to wear down the cutting disc a bit but again, I would suggest that to extend the cutting disc’s life, don’t push the produce with too much force
- Not the best juicer of green leaves, kale, herbs etc. This is true, however I find that if you roll the leaves up into a cylinder and wrap them in other leaves like cabbage, you can get better yields when juicing on the slow setting.
- Some small berries (and even larger fruit like small apples) can jump out of the feed chute. This is due to the chute being so wide and the position of the feed tube over the teeth plate.
However, the first thing to realize is that the position of the feed tube is a patented feature that together with the high speeds of this juicer can extract up to 30% more juice than other juicers. Secondly, the large feed tube is really useful because it allows whole fruit and vegetables to be juiced without having to first cut them up. I would recommend that if you have this problem, just turn the speed down on the juicer OR make sure you add the fruit slowly and position the fruit pusher over the chute as you feed in your fruit.
- Some people have complained that over time the pulp can be excessively wet and less juice is produced. However, if this happens, the first thing to do is to check your stainless steel filter basket is well cleaned and the fine mesh is thoroughly cleaned with a fine brush. You can soak this basket in hot water with some lemon juice to help unblock the mesh. Also, try using the juicer on a slower speed if the pulp looks too wet.
- Juice can leak out from between the juice cover and the filter basket. However, this is usually because you are using the juicer on the high speed setting when the low speed is more appropriate for the produce you are processing. Another possible reason is trying to push the fruit down too quickly. Take your time, it's still super fast 😉
- The biggest concern with this juicer was the limited warranty period (1-3 years). This is a real concern and one you need to check out before deciding on this juicer.
Summary of the Breville Juice Fountain Elite
The Breville 800JEXL Elite Juice Fountain is a great juicer and I really love it. If you are in a hurry like me, you'll find it is a quick job to make your juice and clean up afterwards. I am particularly impressed with the juice yield and I love the design of the juicer. In fact, it looks so good that it's a constant source of questions from family and friends who visit.
You will also find that the user manual of the juicer contains some lovely juice recipes. Be sure to try my morning carrot, beet and orange juice. The recipe is in the manual!
Where can you buy the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite?
I would recommend that you buy the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite on Amazon. Their prices are usually very competitive and they often provide free super-saver shipping.
#2 Choice – Aicok Wide Mouth Juicer
The Aicok Wide Mouth Juicer has a wide mouth, making it the ideal centrifugal juicer for beginners, or those in a rush. Juice whole fruits without having to cut everything up into small pieces.
This juicer has the following features:
- BPA-free food grade stainless steel cutting disc.
- Dual speed juicer – slower speeds for softer produce like oranges, grapes, melons etc. Higher speeds for harder produce like carrots, celery, beets etc.
- Safety locking arm prevents the juicer being used when the juicer cover is missing.
- Large pulp container means you can juice more without having to empty the waste.
Find the Aicok Wide Mouth Juicer on Amazon.
Note that the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Pro is also an excellent choice with the same large chute for feeding produce.
#3 Choice – Nutri Juicer Plus by Heston Blumenthal (UK ONLY)
This juicer has an big shoot so you don't need to cut everything up small. The juicer is designed to handle soft and hard fruit and vegetable with ease. The manufacturers claim that there is less than 2 degrees of heat transfer during juicing, so valuable nutrients like enzymes are not harmed.
The cutting blades are reinforced with Titanium but there is also some “cutting” technology to make sure you get maximum yields from softer fruits.
Find you more about the Nutri Juicer Plus by Heston Blumenthal on Amazon.
If this juicer were cheaper, it would be my second choice centrifugal juicer, but the Aicok that currently sits in second is hard to beat for the price.
The only negative i see in any of the Breville juicers is that in Canada you cannot buy just the blade for the basket. In the U.S you can. The blade retails at 14.99 per blade. The basket with blade is available through Breville parts for at best price 59.99.
You need to change the blades every 5 to 6 months if used every day. So i no time you have paid for another juicer with the money you spent on a basket
other than that the juicer is very good.