- Feeling tired and low in energy?
- Not sleeping so well?
- Bouts of depression and/or anxiety?
- Constantly coming down with the latest bug going around?
- Small, niggling injuries that just won’t heal?
That was me, Andy Williams, before I discovered juicing. I didn’t know it but my body was starving. I don’t mean starving in the traditional sense, but it was an equally devastating and dangerous form of starvation – nutrient starvation.
The simple fact is that most of us are deficient in the nutrients that our bodies need to work properly. The modern fast foods and processed foods that so convenient, are packed with toxins that our bodies struggle to deal with, but are also nutritionally poor, having lost most of the vitamins and minerals during processing. On top of that, fruits and vegetables we buy in the shops have a lot less nutrients than they did 50 years ago, even 10 years ago. Aggressive, cost-cutting farming has seen to that.
I decided it was time to fight back. I still wanted to enjoy the occasional Big Mac or Pizza, but I wanted to make sure that my body also got all of the nutrients it needed to work properly. It was time to boost my fruit and vegetable intake.
Inspired by Joe Cross in “Fat Sick & Nearly Dead”, I started off with a 7 day juice fast. For the first 2-3 days I felt pretty sick. I guess it was my body detoxing because on day 4 I was feeling on top of the world. I swear the world looked brighter.
I set up Juicing the Rainbow to document all of the interesting science & facts about juicing and nutrition in general. You’ll find detailed descriptions about what each vitamin and mineral does in the body, as well as common illnesses that are caused by deficiencies. You’ll also find tasty juicing (and also fruit & vegetable food recipes) recipes (and can submit your own), and reviews of the juicers I recommend you look at when deciding on which juicer is best for you.
If you don’t know where to start with juicing, may I suggest you check out my Beginner’s Guide to Buying a Juicer. That will tell you the best juicer for your lifestyle and budget.
Recommended Reading to get you started:
- If you want to know why you should be juicing, instead of buying supermarket juices, read my article on “What’s wrong with supermarket juices”.
- And if you wonder whether you are really deficient in essential nutrients, read my article “Do YOU know you are deficient”, where you will be invited to decide “which plant are you?”.