Wheatgrass is highly nutritious – it’s the shoots from of the common wheat plant, Triticum aestivum, and as such, they are extremely rich in chlorophyll.
Wheatgrass juice is extremely popular in juice bars and gyms, but also very popular with home-juicers. It’s made even more popular by the fact that you can buy trays of wheatgrass ready for juicing, or buy the seeds and grow your own!
The real problem with it is that the cheaper centrifugal juicers just cannot handle the thin, flexible leaves of grass. You really need a masticating or triturating juicer which uses gears to grind the wheatgrass up, separating the liquid inside the grass from the more indigestible pulp. We'll look specifically at Wheatgrass juicers on this page, but if you want to find out more about the different types of juicers and what they are good for, as well as why you really should juice at home, please read our free guide to the Health Benefits of Juicing & How to Choose the Best Juicer to Buy.
You will find that many juicers are labeled as wheatgrass juicers, but in reality, a juicer does not need to be labeled a wheatgrass juicer to be able to juice the shoots. Any twin or dual gear juicer is capable of juicing wheatgrass. Before we look at our top recommendations, let’s consider a few points to look out for when deciding which wheatgrass juicer to buy.
What should you look for in a Wheatgrass juicer?
Wheatgrass juicers are a special type of juicer that can handle bundles of grasses, herbs and other software tissue plants. There are a number of things to look out for when deciding on a wheatgrass juicer, so to help, we have provided a few tips:
- Wheatgrass juicers can be driven by electric of hand. The electric juicers are more expensive, and take a lot less effort, but the hand powered juicers can do a very good job too. That will be your first decision since the hand juicers are a lot cheaper, but not as flexible and possibly not as efficient.
- It’s nice to find a juicer that can get every last drop of juice out of the wheatgrass. The drier the pulp coming out of the juicer, the better job it’s doing..
- Wheatgrass juicers typically have a small chute. This is essential to the way these juicers work, as it slows down the passage of the wheatgrass as it passed through the gears which squeeze the juice from the blades of grass (as opposed to the heat generating processes in a centrifugal juicer). Therefore, be prepared for slower juicing times.
- Versatility is something you might like to look for. Not only can wheatgrass juicers get the juice from wheatgrass, but they can also be used with other fruit and vegetables. Some can even be used for Pasta!
- It’s a good idea to look for a juicer that is dishwasher safe for the main dirty parts. This can speed up the cleaning of the machine, which makes it more likely that you’ll use it again
- Durability – Make sure that you juicer is robust enough to withstand frequent use. Once you get the juicing bug, you’ll probably be using it every day.
- We have three recommendations for you. The first one is very expensive though, so if you are on a budget, start with choice #2. It's a great budget level juicer.
#1 Choice – Super Angel 5500 Twin Gear Juicer
The Super Angel 5500 is made completely out of surgical stainless steel, and comes with a 10 year warranty. It provides outstanding juicing at a maximum of 86 RPM (just about the perfect speed) and a 3 HP motor, ensuring the juice contains as much enzyme and nutrients as possible. Although expensive, this juicer may well last you a lifetime.
Read more details of the fantastic Super Angel Juicer over on the Amazon website.
#2 Choice – Aicok Slow Masticating Juicer
This budget, multi-purpose juicer is great for all kinds of juicing, including wheatgrass. With the slow masticating juicer action, you get higher nutritional yields because less heat is generated during the juicing process. At this low price, it is hard to beat for value. You only need to read the reviews to see that this is a great choice for juicing enthusiasts.
Read more about Aicok Slow Masticating Juicer on the Amazon website.
#3 Choice – Healthy Juicer – Manual Hand Powered Wheatgrass Juicer
For our third choice, we wanted to give you an option that maybe you hadn’t considered – a manual juicer. Many of these just don’t work very well, but the Healthy Juicer Wheatgrass juicer is one that is an exception.
It’s compact and light which means you can take it with you when you go off on a breakation! The juicer’s light weight is thanks to its polycarbonate (non-toxic and FDA approved) construction.
The juicer is attached to the counter top using a suction cup. That really is needed because of the force required to turn the handle. The suction cup seems to do a good job, and its an innovative idea since most manual wheatgrass juicers use a clamp that screws tight onto your counter top.
The Original Healthy Juicer only comes with a one year warranty which may put a lot of people off, but as manual juicers go, this one seems to work very well, and it’s not limited to just wheatgrass. Other leafy greens are also juiced quite well and you can go for harder vegetables like carrots as well. Overall, the juicer is cheap and may not be the best long-term investment, but if you want to experiment with juicing, and green juices in particular, it may be a good way to try juicing without having to pay a fortune for the machine.